[Ndn-interest] efficient lookup method

mana alliar alrrrr.mmmm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 07:51:19 PDT 2015

Hello,
My name is Mana Aliaar and I'm a student at shahid beheshti university of
Tehran, Iran.
i would appreciate it if you could help me.
I'm currently working on "proposing an efficient routing in NDN" as my
master thesis subject.
following are some of the papers that i've read so far.
Scalable Name Lookup in NDN Using Effective Name Component Encoding
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6258041>
Wire Speed Name Lookup: A GPU-based Approach
<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2482647>
NameFilter: Achieving fast name lookup with low memory cost via applying
two-stage Bloom filters
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6566742&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel7%2F6556116%2F6566708%2F06566742.pdf%3Farnumber%3D6566742>

and the main challenges that these papers express are:
1)Complex name structure:i)names consists of digits and characters; ii)
names have variable length ;   iii) the upper bound length of names are
unknown.
2) and the size of the routing tables(PIT and FIB) which in NDN are 2 or 3
times larger than IP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NOW, based on above papers that see lookup speed and forwarding table size
as major challenges in routing in NDN. I've come to a lookup method:

first for ENTERING THE NAMES IN TABLES: first each name is divided into
multiple parts. an efficient hash function must be used for each name part.
and the hash digest must be stored in a table.
I was thinking of using some kind of indexing method here. like the hash
result of first part of names must be stored in first level hash tables and
the hash result of the second part of the name must be stored in second
level hash tables. and so on.

each entry in table has a pointer to a linked list which the complete names
are stored there. and the rest of the name prefixes are sotored in linked
lists.

and for LOOKING UP THE NAME: first the hash result of first part is
computed and found in first level hash table. then the second part is found
and... the the rest of the name is found from the linked lists.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have the following questions:
1) first of all i would like to know your idea about above papers: am i
working on the right subject? i mean are these papers seeing the problem in
NDN in the right way? are their work authentic?
2) second, about the proposed method:  what is your idea about the above
method?
3) if i'm on the wrong subject, can you please guide me to the right
direction? can you suggest some similar works that has done on routing in
NDN?
It would be great to know your idea about these questions.

I will be eternally grateful for any help you can provide.
Thank you.
Aliaar