[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for February 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Thu Feb 26 07:39:38 PST 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for February 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* We posted two new NDN FAQ videos:

  - Lan Wang, Associate Professor of Computer Science at University
    of Memphis answers the question, "What routing strategies are
    being explored for NDN?"
    https://vimeo.com/118961735

  - David Clark, Senior Research Scientist at MIT Computer Science
    and Artificial Intelligence Lab addresses the question, "Why
    should future internet architecture research be application
    driven?"
    https://vimeo.com/118965175

  See them all at: https://vimeo.com/channels/ndnvfaq

TECHNICAL NEWS

* We announced the release of version 0.3.0 of Named Data Networking
  Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.

  The detailed release notes:
    - for NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html
    - for ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  More details about NFD, tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful
  resources are available on official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:
    - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.0/
    - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.0/

  We also have updated the NFD developer's guide to match the new
  release: http://named-data.net/techreport/ndn-0021-3-nfd-developer-guide.pdf

* We announced new versions of NdnCon version 0.4.0 and NDN-RTC
  version 1.1.0.
    - https://github.com/peetonn/ndncon/releases/tag/v0.4.0>
    - https://github.com/remap/ndnrtc/releases/tag/v1.1.0>

  You can find the updated wiki page for NdnCon at
  https://github.com/peetonn/ndncon/wiki
  with sections including:
    - How to use NdnCon
      https://github.com/peetonn/ndncon/wiki/How-to-use
    - NDN daemon configuration
      https://github.com/peetonn/ndncon/wiki/NDN-daemon-configuration

* We announced the release of an updated version of NDN File System
  (ndnfs), along with a Firefox NDN add-on used to access retreat
  documents via NDN. The NDNFS file system provides a file access
  interface and stores files as well as their network-related
  metadata for remote access via NDN. Please see the technical
  report:
  http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ndn-tr-27-ndnfs.pdf

  We also internally distributed and tested a Firefox browser add-on
  using NDN-JS used for easy access to files.

* We released version 0.3 of jNDN, the NDN Common Client LIbrary for Java.
  https://github.com/named-data/jndn

  One major change comes in the form of support for the Maven build
  system, which can automatically include jNDN as a dependency from
  the Maven Central Repository:
  https://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|net.named-data|jndn|0.3|jar

  This release includes other changes. See the CHANGELOG for details:
  https://github.com/named-data/jndn/blob/5081f130ec3e9fb5fa9d526ab3c652fbcae30fbf/CHANGELOG

* We released the Android version of NFD available publicly at:
  https://github.com/named-data/NFD-android

* A group at Orange SA (orange.com) announced the first release of
  a tool, lurch, for conducting experimental research with NDN.
  The group has used the tool to successfully run NDN experiments
  in a large grid (www.grid5000.fr).  The lurch tool applies equally
  well to test smaller experiments in a local cluster of servers.

  Please find the source and related documentation at:
  http://systemx.enst.fr/lurch

* Intel released three Java libraries based on jndn that they use
  to simplify some NDN functionality. The source for the tools have
  been released under LGPLv3 and can be pulled in to any Maven
  project from the Central Repository. Andrew Brown
  <andrew.brown at intel.com> would appreciate feedback, suggestions,
  and pull requests.

  https://github.com/01org/jndn-management
  https://github.com/01org/jndn-utils
  https://github.com/01org/jndn-mock

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* NFD Developer's Guide. Alexander Afanasyev, et al.
  NDN Technical Report NDN-0021.
  http://named-data.net/techreport/ndn-0021-3-nfd-developer-guide.pdf

* Map-and-Encap for Scaling NDN Routing. Alexander Afanasyev, Cheng
  Yi, Lan Wang, Beichuan Zhang, and Lixia Zhang.  NDN, Technical
  Report NDN-0004.
  http://named-data.net/techreport/ndn-0004-3-scaling-ndn-routing.pdf

* ndnSIM 2.0: A new version of the NDN simulator for NS-3. Spyridon
  Mastorakis, Alexander Afanasyev, Ilya Moiseenko, and Lixia Zhang.
  NDN, Technical Report NDN-0028.
  http://named-data.net/techreport/ndn-0028-1-ndnsim-v2.pdf

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series has been on hiatus but will start again
  soon.  These seminars are internally focused. We usually hold
  these seminars on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would
  like to be included in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog
  Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu> for the most up-to-date information
  regarding upcoming seminars.

RELATED WORK

* Amin Karami, Manel Guerrero-Zapata, "An ANFIS-based cache replacement
  method for mitigating cache pollution attacks in Named Data
  Networking", Computer Architecture Department (DAC), Universitat
  Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), Campus Nord, Jordi Girona 1-3,
  08034 Barcelona, Spain.
  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389128615000316

* "Named Data Networking project wants to retire TCP/IP" by David Greer
  http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/feature/Named-Data-Networking-project-wants-to-retire-TCP-IP

* Collaborators at Tsinghua University, Zhongxing Ming, Huibin Wang,
  Mingwei Xu, Dai Pan, published the paper, "Efficient handover in
  railway networking via named data", International Journal of
  Machine Learning and Cybernetics. February 2015, Volume 6, Issue
  1, pp 167-173 Date: 14 Jul 2014
  http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13042-014-0282-9 *

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.