[Ndn-interest] NDN-friendly Mobility solutions

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 11:18:55 PST 2015

While any solution must be based on the specific application scenario,
there are still some general guidelines that you may consider:

1/ Producer mobility is hard because the consumer has to shoot Interest to
a moving target. Therefore the principle is to find something invariant and
use that as an indirection, which is essentially the same idea as
locator/id separation.

2/ One way to do that is to directly apply the LISP concept to the NDN
network: you can assign a location-independent name to the producer and let
the producer register its current location to a general mapping system
(e.g, NDNS); then the consumer can send Interest to the producer's latest
location using either Interest encapsulation or forwarding hint.

This design is useful if your application must enforce P2P communication
(e.g., if you want to send control commands to a specific sensor on a plane
that is flying from LAX to JFK).

3/ A more NDN-ish design (in my opinion) is to use rendezvous point as
indirection: you can have your producer publish its data to a well-known
location, such as an NDN repo, so that the consumer can fetch data from the
repo instead of talking to the producer directly.

This design also applies to sensor networks where the producer has limited
storage capacity and/or low duty-cycle so that it must offload the data
storage task to a more powerful device.

4/ I remember Prof. Lixia showed us some slides in her class about the idea
of NDN routing via self-learning. The key idea is to utilize NDN's stateful
forwarding plain to estimate the validity of a route on the fly.
Unfortunately I couldn't remember any reference for that work.

Hope this may be helpful to your research.

Wentao