[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for November/December 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Wed Dec 16 17:12:14 PST 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Holiday Newsletter for
November/December 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* We published the "The Second Named Data Networking Community
  Meeting (NDNcomm 2015)", a brief summary of the second NDN Community
  Meeting held at UCLA in Los Angeles, California on September
  28-29, 2015. The meeting provided a platform for the attendees
  from 49 institutions across 13 countries to exchange their recent
  NDN research and development results, to debate existing and
  proposed functionality in NDN forwarding, routing, and security,
  and to provide feedback to the NDN architecture design evolution.
  http://named-data.net/publications/second_ndncomm/

* The NDN project team has submitted a Letter of Intent to the NSF
  Industry/University Cooperative Research (I/UCRC) program, to
  explore this as a potential evolutionary path for the NDN consortium,
  as discussed at the last consortium meeting.  According to the
  RFP, this program develops long-term partnerships among industry,
  academe, and government. "The Centers are catalyzed by an investment
  from the [NSF] and are primarily supported by industry Center
  members, with NSF taking a supporting role in the development and
  evolution of the Center." For more information on the program,
  see: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16504/nsf16504.htm.  The
  project team plans to submit a planning grant to the July 11,
  2016 deadline and encourages current and prospective members to
  contact us with any questions, concerns, ideas and expressions
  of interest about the program. We have received positive feedback
  from NSF to encourage the planning proposal submission.

TECHNICAL NEWS

* The NDN Testbed has grown to 28 Nodes with 66 links. Since our
  last newsletter, two new countries connected to the NDN Testbed.
  We added nodes at COPELABS (Cognition and People Centric Computing)
  at University of Lusofona in Portugal and at the University of
  Indonesia, Depok Indonesia.  The NDN Testbed now spans 11 countries:
  USA, Switzerland, China, France, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South
  Korea, Norway, Portugal, and Spain. To see the latest map with
  bandwidth usage see http://ndnmap.arl.wustl.edu/.

* We announced the release of Mini-NDN v0.1.1. Mini-NDN is a
  lightweight networking emulation tool that enables testing,
  experimentation, and research on the NDN platform. Mini-NDN uses
  the NDN libraries, NFD, NLSR, and tools released by the NDN project
  to emulate an NDN network on a single system.  Detailed release
  notes with new features, changes, and bug fixes can be found at:
  https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/docs/RELEASE-NOTES.md

  More information about Mini-NDN, tutorials, installation and
  configuration guides, and documentation are available at the
  Mini-NDN Github repository: https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* Alexander Afanasyev, Yingdi Yu, Lixia Zhang, Jeff Burke, kc claffy,
  Joshua Polterock, "The Second Named Data Networking Community
  Meeting (NDNcomm 2015)" to appear in the Jan'16 issue of ACM
  SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (CCR).
  http://named-data.net/publications/second_ndncomm/

* Susmit Shannigrahi of Colorado State presented the paper at the
  Fifth International Workshop on Network-Aware Data Management
  (NDM '15) titled "Managing scientific data with named data
  networking." This is a collaborative work by many authors: Chengyu
  Fan, Susmit Shannigrahi, Steve Dibendetto, Catherine Olschanowsky,
  Christos Papadopoulos, Harvey Newman, Edmund Yeh, Jean-Roch
  Vlimant, Azher Amin, Dorian Kcira, Iosif Legrand, Ramiro Voicu,
  David Randall, Kelley Wittmeyer, Mark Branson and Don Dazlich.
  Using ndn-atmos, an application built on NDN for managing scientific
  data, we demonstrated NDN's novel features such as intelligent
  data retrieval strategies, name discovery, data subsetting and
  publication protocol. The screencasts developed for this demo can
  be found here: http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~susmit/ndn_screencasts/
  http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2832099.2832100

* PI Lixia Zhang and Alex Afanasyev attended ICNRG meetings at IETF
  94 in Yokohama, participated in discussions and presented
  "Shaping a New Architecture by Architectural Principles."
  https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/11/01/icnrg/slides/slides-interim-2015-icnrg-5-0.pdf

* We posted revision 1 of the technical report "Name-Based Access
  Control." The report presents the design of Name-based Access
  Control (NAC), a model that encrypts content at the time of
  production and stores it in the network. We demonstrate how to
  make use of naming conventions to convey access control policy
  and distribute access control keys. The results suggests NAC is
  suitable for large-scale distributed data production and consumption.
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0034-nac/

* We posted revision 5 of the technical report NDN-0021, "NFD Developer's
  Guide." NDN Forwarding Daemon (NFD) is a network forwarder that
  implements the Named Data Networking (NDN) protocol. NFD is
  designed with modularity and extensibility in mind to enable easy
  experiments with new protocol features, algorithms, and applications
  for NDN.  To help developers extend and improve NFD, this document
  explains NFD's internals including the overall design, major
  modules, their implementations, and their interactions.
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-5-nfd-developer-guide/

* We posted revision 1 of the technical report NDN-0035 "Creating
  A Secure, Integrated Home Network of Things with Named
  Data Networking." In this paper, we design a simple smart home
  network protocol to demonstrate the ways in which the Named Data
  Networking (NDN) internet layer protocol provides better support
  for these aspects of network protocol design than the traditional
  Internet Protocol (IP). We refer to this simple NDN-based protocol
  as the Named Data Network of Things (NDNoT).
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0035-1-creating_secure_integrated/

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued during October. The NDN
  seminars are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars
  on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included
  in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu>
  for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

  - October 28th Jongdeog Lee (UIUC) InfoMax-An Information Maximizing
    Transport Layer Protocol for Named Data Networks

  - December 2nd Rodrigo Aldecoa (Northeastern University) Hyperbolic Routing (Theory)

  - December 16th Vince Lehman (University of Memphis) Hyperbolic Routing (Implementation)

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.