[Ndn-interest] Multiple Ethernet faces

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 20 19:49:14 PDT 2015

Hi Ray

No, NFD does not allow distinct “remote endpoint” among Ethernet multicast faces.

The rationale of using the same “remote endpoint” for all Ethernet multicast faces is: this address is a well-known address, so that every node can join the same multicast group.
It’s expected that all nodes are configured to use the same Ethernet multicast address, known as ALL-NDN-SYSTEMS. In the long term, this multicast address would be registered with IANA, and then become hard-coded.
Having a single ALL-NDN-SYSTEMS multicast address allows a network to work out-of-box without requiring an administrator to manually configure a distinct multicast address for each link, and without any negotiation or discovery.
If all nodes on a link are NDN nodes, this multicast group is effectively broadcast. We use the ALL-NDN-SYSTEMS multicast group so that NDN nodes can co-exist with non-NDN nodes, and non-NDN nodes don’t have to receive NDN traffic.
The discussion above is also applicable to UDP multicast faces.

NFD does not require “remote endpoint” of faces to be distinct.
>From an application, you may use FaceId to identify individual faces; to search for a face, run Face query operation with both “remote endpoint” and “local endpoint” conditions.

Yours, Junxiao