[Ndn-interest] Can I run NDN without boost?

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at UCLA.EDU
Mon Apr 27 23:06:42 PDT 2015

Hi AnChe,

There are a lot of benefits that are provided by boost libraries.  As you may know, boost project is a huge collection of peer reviewed libraries (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/ <http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/>) which provide efficient implementation of many many things in a cross-platform way (many standard algorithms and helpers, special containers with multi-indexing capabilities, networking abstractions, asynchronous processing, date and time management, assertion routines, testing framework, to name a few).

I understand that it is an effort to make boost libraries available on platforms that do not natively provide it.  However, this effort is much easier (and way friendlier from maintainability point of view) than re-implementation of standard routines and algorithms, as well as platform-specific implementations (e.g., for networking operations).
On the bright side, boost libraries are very popular in the general community and many platforms either natively ship with some version of the libraries (e.g., raspbian distro for raspberry pi; crystax ndk for android platform, etc.) or there are community supported environments to build libraries.

Are you sure that for the platforms you’re working boost libraries not available natively?

—
Alex