[Ndn-interest] R: Re: Question about unsatisfied Interests

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Wed Oct 15 08:56:18 PDT 2014

http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-tlv/data.html#contenttype

says that NACK was removed.  I think NACK has problems when combined with MustBeFresh and FreshnessPeriod.

A Data object with a FreshnessPeriod of, say 1s, can still circle around in the network for much longer than 1s, especially if stale responses are allowed.  Someone trying to discover the latest version, for example, can be mislead by the NACK.

Another example:

Alice: get latest version for /news
Cache: /news/v=100

Alice: get latest version for /news greater than 100
Publisher: /news/v=110

Eve: Fetch /news/v=1000
Publisher: NACK /news/v=1000

Alice: Get latest version greater than 110
Cache: /news/v=1000

1000 now becomes the latest version for /news.  An attacker could force the publisher — if they want to use ContentType=NACK response — to increase their version number to arbitrary lengths.  And FreshnessPeriod does not provide a deterministic way to expire that content or prevent it from being cached.

I don’t think using a ContentType=NACK is a good idea with these cache control directives.

Marc