[Mini-NDN] Mini-NDN Help

Ashlesh Gawande (agawande) agawande at memphis.edu
Sat May 20 18:56:12 PDT 2017

1) Mini-NDN does not have a visualization module. But you can look at logs in real time and perhaps parse the logs and display them tailored to your needs.

2) Mini-NDN is based on Mininet. Basically it runs NFD and NLSR on each "node" provided by Mininet.

3) ndnSIM is a simulator based on ns-3 which is a discrete event simulator. You cannot interact with it as you can do in emulation (Mini-NDN).

It runs faster and scales better than Mini-NDN. But Mini-NDN may have more realistic performance as it runs real instances of NFD, NLSR and your application.

Also there is recent cluster version added to Mini-NDN for better scaling across multiple machines.

With ndnSIM you have to develop your application in C++ (against the ndn-cxx library) as well as your scenarios need to be in C++.

In Mini-NDN you develop your scenarios in Python and you can write your application using common client libraries (https://named-data.net/codebase/platform/ndn-ccl/)

in C++, Python, Javascript, or Java. This is because you can interact with real instances of NFDs. Once you develop an application in Mini-NDN you can deploy on real testbed without any change.

4) Please take a look at the Mini-NDN docs:
https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/tree/master/docs
You need to parse the NLSR logs to get the data. Or you  can run ndndump in your experiment scenario to collect information about packets loss etc.
(Mini-NDN is basically a bunch of python scripts to run NFD and NLSR on nodes provided by Mininet which each have a networking stack and connected to each other by virtual Ethernet pairs).

Ashlesh