[Nfd-dev] Some questions about the dissertation of Junxiao Shi.

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:01:33 PST 2017

Hi Jinyang

> Recently, I read Junxiao Shi’s dissertation “Named Data Networking in
> Local Area Networks”. But, I have a lot of questions after reading.
>
> First of all, the article mentioned that Data includes meta information on
> page 22. I found one of meta information is contentType, and it
> specifically refers to what? If this is the case: NDN have categorized
> each type of content, and each type has a contentType to identify.

https://named-data.net/doc/NDN-TLV/current/data.html#contenttype

I use ndnputchunks3/ndncatchunks3 to tranmit some content(files and videos),

Both programs are deprecated and replaced by ndn-tools.

> but found that all the contentTypes are 0.

Most producers only use "0".

> Second question:on page 32 of the dissertation, "As well as collected
> measurements about recent data retrievals by Interests sharing,a common
> prefix. The latter, measurements about recent retrievals, are collected by
> the strategy by observing the outcome of forwarded Interests to each
> next hop,….”. where are these measurements stored? Can I find the
> corresponding position in the NFD code?

The protocol does not specify where to store such measurements.
NFD implementation stores per-namespace strategy measurements in the
measurements table.

> My third question, I'm very interested in the broadcast-based
> self-learning mentioned in Chapter 4. but I did not find this strategy in
> daemon/fw
> (I also did some experimentation, creating face on the NFD using nfdc
> create face, and not give specific prefix to register ). I don’t know
> whether
> I find the right position, or that has not yet been achieved it in NFD?

This isn't implemented. Use the "watch" button on
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4279 to receive updates.