[Nfd-dev] prefix registration - how long does it take?

Gusev, Peter peter at remap.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:40:50 PDT 2017

Hi NFD-devs,

I noticed that sometimes, one of my unit-tests fails where consumer can’t retrieve simple 1-segment object from the producer - it gets NACK.
I dug into NFD logs and, apparently, what is happening - is that interest is sent before prefix registration is completed. I just want to confirm this assumption.

Please, find the excerpt from the NFD log file attached. The name of the object requested is "/unittest-ED7F9FBF-94C1-4E3C-ABB6-0342011C9FCD/user1/flume/test-object”.

As far as I understood, the line

1492110224.378872 INFO: [RibManager] Adding route /unittest-ED7F9FBF-94C1-4E3C-ABB6-0342011C9FCD/user1 nexthop=303 origin=0 cost=0

doesn’t mean that the route is fully created yet. In contrast, the following log entry means successful route creation:

1492110224.420598 DEBUG: [RibManager] RIB update succeeded for RibUpdate {
  Name: /unittest-ED7F9FBF-94C1-4E3C-ABB6-0342011C9FCD/user1
  Action: REGISTER
  Route(faceid: 303, origin: 0, cost: 0, flags: 1, never expires)
}

My unit-test code for consumer waits till producer successfully registers prefix (receives callback) and only then sends out interest to the data. Apparently, sometimes successful registration callback is called earlier then prefix registration completes inside the NFD. Is that normal? Or shall I consult with JeffT about this, since I’m using NDN-CPP?

Peter Gusev

peter at remap.ucla.edu<mailto:peter at remap.ucla.edu>
+1 213 5872748
peetonn_ (skype)

Software Engineer/Programmer Analyst @ REMAP UCLA

Video streaming/ICN networks/Creative Development