[Nfd-dev] NDN through NATs

Dehart, John jdd at wustl.edu
Sun Apr 9 15:12:20 PDT 2017

All:

In our policy statement (https://named-data.net/ndn-testbed/policies-connecting-nodes-ndn-testbed/)
for a site joining the NDN Testbed, we state:

"The machine may be a dedicated physical box or a virtual machine (VM) with a
  publicly routable IP address (i.e., should not be behind a NAT). “

I would like to lift the restriction about being behind a NAT. I believe that we originally put
that stipulation in the policy as a convenience to us as we managed the NDN Testbed.
We have already been flexible with a couple of sites that wanted or needed to be behind a NAT.
So far, I do not have any evidence that this has caused any problems. We do have an issue with
one site that happens to be behind a NAT but at this time I do not think the NAT is causing the problem.

Does anyone have any concrete reasons why an NDN node on the NDN Testbed should
NOT be allowed to be behind a NAT?

Thanks,
John