[Nfd-dev] Receiving interests over WebSocket

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 29 16:39:10 PDT 2016

Hi JeffT

NFD can forward an Interest toward the micro forwarder via WebSocket, if
there's a FIB nexthop record pointing to the WebSocket face, and the
forwarding strategy decides to use this nexthop.
There's no technical barrier in this regard. NDN-JS browser application is
already able to act as a producer, and the micro forwarder isn't different
from a browser application from NFD's point of view.

In order to get a FIB nexthop record pointing to the WebSocket face, the
micro forwarder should send a prefix registration command to NFD under
/localhop/nfd prefix, similar to NFD-RIB's automatic prefix propagation.
As indicated in #3568 <http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/3568>, the
testbed certificate itself, rather than a sub-certificate, must be used to
sign this prefix registration command, because the router NFD cannot fetch
sub-certificates.
Thus, the user has to manually request a testbed certificate from ndncert,
export it into a format compatible with NDN-JS (step 1-2
<http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndn-lib/2014-October/000183.html>, step
3 <http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndn-lib/2014-October/000188.html>,
step 4-5
<http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndn-lib/2014-October/000193.html>),