[Nfd-dev] Interest equality for for Nack

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 28 12:17:22 PDT 2016

Hi Klaus

How an incoming Nack matches a PIT entry is determined by NFD’s incoming Nack pipeline.
Its specification is in NFD developer guide.

“retransmitted Interest” can only be created by the consumer application.
Cheng Yi’s thesis has clarified the difference between “retry” and “retransmit”: the forwarding strategy on a forwarder can retry an Interest (without changing the Nonce); only the consumer application can retransmit an Interest (with a new Nonce).
NDNLPv2 retransmission is invisible in forwarding pipelines and strategy, so it’s irrelevant to Nack.

When the original Nack has reason “duplicate”, in most cases, this condition will not apply to a retransmitted Interest.
“no route” and “congestion” may still apply to a retransmitted Interest, but it’s better to adopt the same rule regardless of Nack type, to simplify the protocol.

Yours, Junxiao