[Nfd-dev] expressInterest when Nack received without a NackCallback

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Apr 27 13:49:57 PDT 2016

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Thompson, Jeff <jefft0 at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> A question came up while studying network Nack support in ndn-cxx. Suppose someone has an application which calls expressInterest with only the OnData and OnTimeout callbacks. Normally, if the library doesn’t call OnData, it calls OnTimeout after the interest lifetime.
>
> However, if the library receives a network Nack, it calls OnTimeout immediately, regardless of the interest lifetime. Could this cause confusion? I ask because it’s not deterministic whether the network will reply with a Nack or not. If the application is not set up to handle Nacks, would it be better to just let the interest time out, even if the library receives a Nack?
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
> - Jeff T

Of course it can cause the confusion.  Depending on what logic is set for onTimeout action, it may result in unnecessary retransmission.  It is not really better to "time out" when NACK is received, as the library already have a knowledge that the interest will never be received.

---