[Nfd-dev] Help with Interests and Nonces

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 1 13:03:17 PDT 2016

Hi John

I believe it’s still #1953, but at a large timescale.

Per ndnmap, SRRU node has 5 peers. With multicast strategy used on /ndn/broadcast namespace, an incoming Interest from one of these peers will be forwarded to 4 other peers.
You are observing 1089 incoming and outgoing Interests. Divide that by 5 (1 incoming + 4 outgoing), it’s roughly 218 incoming Interests.
They are spread over a duration 1071 seconds. Divide that by 218 incoming Interests, and we can see the interval between two incoming Interests is 4.9 seconds on average.

The solution for #1953 is the Dead Nonce List, which is designed to prevent these persistent loops.
A persistent loop can be detected if the Nonce is still in DNL when the Interest loops back; it cannot be detected if the Interest loops back after Nonce lifetime.
The expected lifetime is 6 seconds, but it’s probablistically adjusted, so the actual lifetime can possibly fall to less than 4.9 seconds, and therefore a persistent loop at 4.9 seconds interval cannot be detected.

If this ever happens again, you can try to find out the entire loop by following the source IP field in ndndump trace, and then run ndndump at that peer.
After the entire loop is found, you can adjust NFD log level to DEBUG for Forwarder component (send SIGHUP to nfd process, don’t restart NFD), and the NFD logs can give more information on what’s happening.

Yours, Junxiao