[Nfd-dev] RTT delay caused by RIB registration commands

Vince Lehman (vslehman) vslehman at memphis.edu
Tue May 5 06:37:03 PDT 2015

Hi Junxiao,

A registration for a new UDP face causes the RTT to increase slightly, ~2ms above the previous experiment:

Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 477477776   - Round Trip Time = 0.778 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 477477777   - Round Trip Time = 0.649 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 477477778   - Round Trip Time = 16.614 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 477477779   - Round Trip Time = 0.982 ms

A registration for a non-existent face ID causes a large increase in the RTT:

Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 479746716   - Round Trip Time = 0.77 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 479746717   - Round Trip Time = 0.695 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 479746718   - Round Trip Time = 52.996 ms
Content From /ndn - Ping Reference = 479746719   - Round Trip Time = 0.808 ms

Since we simply want to update the expiration time for a particular namespace in the RIB, would there be any use for a protocol extension that allows for the expiration time for a namespace to be updated with one RIB command?
--
Vince Lehman