[Nfd-dev] review request: tunnel authentication protocol

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Wed Jan 28 09:33:40 PST 2015

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean that you should use DTLS (though I wouldn’t argue against that), but only that the DTLS RFC spells out many of the things one needs to do about replay attacks, IP fragmentation issues, and so forth, in establishing a cryptographic association, even if there is no encryption of the channel.  I agree with Mark S that if you do not include a MAC in each packet, there’s no on-going assurance.  And using a MAC means you negotiate session keys and then signing keys, so you might as well do DTLS.  DOCSIS does a similar thing too.

You could also look at the history of GRE tunnels (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2784 and then https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2890). RFC 2890 says that one must use IPSec with the tunnel (either ESP or simple AH), especially if using the sequence number to re-order tunnel packets due to DoS issues with the re-order buffer.  Note that the Key field in GRE is really a flow label, not a security mechanism.

In DTLS, there is on-going authentication and the connection is identified by a session ID that only the holder of the parties certificate keys can use.

In your proposal, I think it suffers from a man in the middle attack: Alice - Eve - Bob.  Alice sends a signed interest, Eve intercepts it and now sends the packet to Bob with her socket endpoint.  Bob accepts the packet as from alice and opens a tunnel with Eve.  There’s nothing in the signed envelope that restricts the tunnel to Alice nor anything encrypted that requires Eve to have Alice’s of Bob’s key.  For example, if Alice included her socket endpoint in the signed information that would preclude this specific attack, but that’s not a proof that it’s sufficient for secure association.  If there’s no MAC, Eve could still inject packets as a MITM.  Generally one needs a handshake where each party proves they actually have the keys purported through a multi-round protocol (which could have a quick-resume).

I’m not a cryptographer, and this is the type of thing you want a cryptographer working on.  Or use a protocol that’s been vetted.

Marc