[Nfd-dev] Packages for homebrew

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at UCLA.EDU
Wed Jan 21 18:26:14 PST 2015

Hi everybody,

I finally finished hacking homebrew packages for NFD and few other things.  Homebrew is similar to macports, but may be easier to use for some people.  Also, a big difference is that I was able to provide compiled binaries, so actual compilation can be avoided.

I would appreciate if somebody take a look and give feedback whether it worked or not.

Quick and short instructions:

- To install brew copy the following in the command line

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

- Configure NDN "tap"

brew tap named-data/ndn

- Install packages (ndn-cxx, nfd, ndndump, and ndnping are currently available)

brew install nfd ndndump ndnping

*** On OS X 10.10, ndn-cxx, nfd, ndndump, and ndnping packages should be installed directly from the pre-compiled binaries (some other dependencies will also be installed on the way).

*** Binaries for older OS X releases may be created later.  The process is not automated, so it will be on best-effort basis if I have time or if there are volunteers to do that :-D

*** The most time I spent was in making NFD to use launchd to start/stop.  These operations are hidden by nfd-start and nfd-stop scripts.

For those who interested about details, brew formulae definitions are in our github repo: https://github.com/named-data/homebrew-ndn

---