[Nfd-dev] ndncat/putchunks: ndn-cxx or NFD tools?

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:26:46 PST 2015

Hi Steve

I'll begin with the third question.

My observation and opinion is: a tool shall be bundled with ndn-cxx if it
can be used without installing NFD.
The two tools bundled with ndn-cxx are:

   - ndnsec: controls the KeyChain
   - tlvdump: parses the packet format

They both don't require NFD.

I recognize that there are certain tools which are not closely related to
NFD, but are useful in most places where NFD is installed.
They include:

   - peek and poke
   - catchunks and putchunks
   - ping and pingserver

I suggest creating a separate "ndn-tools" repository which contains all
these tools.
Operator still installs from three repositories, ndn-cxx, NFD, ndn-tools
(formerly ndn-tlv-ping), so this change doesn't increase the difficulty of
deployment.

Yours, Junxiao

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Steve DiBenedetto <dibenede at cs.colostate.edu