[Nfd-dev] Switching to C++11, dropping support for C++98/03

Davide Pesavento davide.pesavento at lip6.fr
Sun Oct 26 07:04:09 PDT 2014

Dear all,

We are transitioning ndn-cxx and all dependent projects to C++11 only.
This means that we are dropping support for building these projects
using the C++98 (aka C++03) language standard. For more information
see task #1930.

http://gerrit.named-data.net/1191 implements the change for ndn-cxx
and http://gerrit.named-data.net/1335 does the same for NFD. ndndump
has already been fixed, NLSR and other official projects will follow
in the next days.

If there are no objections, the above changes will be merged no sooner
than Wed Oct 29 15:00 UTC.

If you have code that compiles against ndn-cxx, please make sure it is
compatible with C++11 as soon as possible.

Be careful that libstdc++'s C++11 ABI is not considered stable yet,
therefore linking objects built with different versions of gcc is not
supported, if those objects expose standard library types at their ABI
boundaries and have been compiled in C++11 mode. Mixing C++11 and
C++98 code is also considered dangerous if std:: types are used. See
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility for details.

Best regards,
Davide