[Nfd-dev] [Ndn-interest] NDN link protocol

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:43:44 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Dave Oran (oran) <oran at cisco.com> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > The scenario is: switches understand Names, NICs understand Names.
> >
> I understand the scenario. I’m pointing out first that it’s highly
> unrealistic, and second that when you have a big flat L2 waking up all the
> nodes with multicasts is a very bad idea.
>
> I still argue that we need L3<->L2 binding machinery either built into NDN
> or in some kind of convergence layer,

Agree.

> and that either multicasting everything or re-inventing ARP are poor
> choices.

But I don't know what other options we may have. Something like NDN
Neighbor Discovery? :)

> For example, I’d think about at least the following:
> - use different multicast addresses for Interests and Data
> - perhaps partition the multicast space using prefix hashes (analogous to
> what is done when mapping IP multicast to L2 multicast)
> - Record in the PIT the source MAC address of the interest as well as the
> incoming face. This allows you to make an intelligent decision as to
> whether to multicast or unicast the data packet based on how many consumers
> have asked for a given data packet.

Personally I like this idea. This can be extended to other NBMA links as
well. Eventually we should have individual faces per L2 host (or per L2
interface). This will be very useful in wireless mesh networks where L2
multicast is much more expensive than on the Ethernet.

Best,
Wentao

PhD @ IRL, CSD, UCLA