[Nfd-dev] Please review the update of NDN-TLV spec, introducing implicit digest name component

Dave Oran (oran) oran at cisco.com
Fri Oct 10 07:36:34 PDT 2014

On Oct 10, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> "implicit digest component" is implicit in Data packet. It cannot appear in Data packet, but must be computed when needed.
> ImplicitSha256DigestComponent can appear in Interest Name as the last component, and in Exclude.

then I’m even more confused than I thought.

If the digest is a name component, and the data packet is supposed to echo back the exact name that was present in the interest, why isn’t the hash the last name component of the data packet as well as the interest packet.

The CCN 1.0 approach does this differently by not making the hash a name component, but as a separate TLV in the Interest with the semantic of “hash restriction” as opposed to “implicit has as part of the name”.