[Nfd-dev] Strategy for testbed routers

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Oct 1 19:50:17 PDT 2014

Hi Lan

2.
The problem is not "primary path is not working", but "primary path is
working most of the time, but happens to lose one packet". Retrying on the
same path helps.

3.
Forwarding strategy need not make an assumption on what routing protocol is
used, but it should know the quality of paths.
High quality routes (such as those from link state routing) can reach the
destination UNLESS there's a fault. Retrying is less aggressive, and a
temporarily failed path is expected to come back shortly so probing is
frequent.
Low quality routes (such as those from autoreg-server) are more likely to
be incorrect. Retrying is aggressive, and a path that does not work is
assumed to be an incorrect path so probing is infrequent.

4.
Backbone router strategy assumes all paths can reach the destination UNLESS
there's a fault. If there's a fault, Interests go to backup path, but
probing is frequent so that traffic can switch back to primary path once it
comes back.
Access router strategy. When a working path is found, probing on other
paths is infrequent. When producer is believed to be moved, the strategy
won't expect the old path to work again until the new path fails (which
means producer is moving again).

Yours, Junxiao