[Nfd-dev] comments for the nfd doc

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Thu Jun 19 18:50:29 PDT 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Lan Wang (lanwang) <lanwang at memphis.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2014, at 12:40 AM, Beichuan Zhang <bzhang at cs.ARIZONA.EDU>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We’ve been integrating the text of the NFD Developer’s Guide, and now it is in the final stage. Can everyone read the document or part of it, and email in comments? Any comment would be appreciated. We plan to finish it by the end of Sunday.
>>
>> The current PDF is attached. If you want the latest version, the repository is git at git.irl.cs.ucla.edu:papers/nfd-docs.git.
>>

> Some comments for Section 7 (Obaid please check):
>
> - "The RIB Manager that runs as a separate process, NRD (NFD RIB Daemon)" should be "NRD (NFD RIB Daemon), the RIB Manager that runs as a separate process, …"

No. I think the description is correct. The correct name is NFD RIB Manager and NRD is just an abbreviation of this, not the other way around.

> - 19 diagram should be Figure 19.
>
> - Figure 19 can be bigger and Figure 20 should be much smaller.
>
> - Figure 19 shows only NLSR.  What about other apps?  I suggest adding an app's typical interactions with NRD at the end of the time line.

Including more stuff may clutter the picture. I'm ok with including more, but just want to make sure we don't include too much.

> - It's not clear what this part means: "7.7 Extending RIB Manager
> The RIB Manager currently supports only two commands { register and unregister. However, functionality of the RIB
> Manager can be extended by introducing more commands. For example, if a node needs to announce a prex currently, it
> has to congure the routing protocol. A set of commands for advertising and withdrawing prexes, with the help of any
> application, could provide a more unied way for the operators to publish name prexes."
>
> Isn't advertising and withdrawing prefixes supported through register and unregister already?

As I remember, withdraw and advertise were separate commands.  At least in the original protocol spec, though I already forgot what was the difference.

---
Alex