[Nfd-dev] Naming conventions for "sequence number"

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Jul 16 10:35:07 PDT 2014

On Jul 16, 2014, at 5:10 AM, Lan Wang (lanwang) <lanwang at memphis.edu> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> What is the difference between Version and Sequence number?  Is Version based on timestamps?  If so, it seems that Version should be explicitly called Timestamp.
>
> Lan

there are cases one is preferred over the other depending on app needs.
there are cases both are used: see RFC 3550 (RTP) as an example: it uses both timestamp and seq#
the former can tell the time gaps between data
the latter can tell whether any piece is missing