[Nfd-dev] repo-ng protocol: ChildSelector

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 15 00:02:56 PDT 2014

Dear folks

I have difficulty understanding how repo-ng is expected to process
ChildSelector in the delete command.

Repo protocol <
http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/repo-ng/wiki/Repo_Protocol_Specification#Repo-Command-Selectors>
states:

   -
   - The concrete definitions of both standard NDN selectors and repo
   command selectors are the same.
   - the standard NDN selectors just matches one data packet that conforms
   to the selector conditions, but repo command selectors would matches any
   data packets.
   - Repo command supports parts of standard NDN interests including
   MinSuffixComponents, MaxSuffixComponents, PublisherPublicKeyLocator,
   Exclude, ChildSelector.
   - selectors are just supported in delete command.

NDN-TLV spec <http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-tlv/interest.html#childselector>
states:

   - Often a given Interest can match more than one Data within a given
   content store. The ChildSelector provides a way of expressing a preference
   for which of these should be returned.

As I understand from these rules, an implementation is required to process
Selectors in a delete command, which is used as a filter to determine
whether a stored Data under the name prefix should be erased or not.
However, ChildSelector is different from other selectors in that it does
not provide a filter, but expresses a preference about which one Data
should be picked among multiple equally-admissible Data.

My question is: if ChildSelector is present in a delete command, should a
repo implementation evaluate the preference rules and erase only one Data,
or should this field be ignored?