[Nfd-dev] Revised plan for library renaming

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:04:43 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Alex Afanasyev
<alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2014, at 4:53 PM, Davide Pesavento <davidepesa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Alex Afanasyev
>> <alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu> wrote:
>>> We will try to do the change with a transition period, when existing application will still be able to compile against ndn-cxx (there will be additional symlinks created for include, lib, and pkg-config files), but all known applications needs to be updated ASAP after the renaming is complete in the following way:
>>>

>> Are you going to release the first version with the compatibility symlinks?
>
> Honestly, not sure about this and we shall make a decision.  If we can quickly update all applications (NFD, repo, NLSR, ping, others?), then this will not go into the release.  Personally, I prefer not to add symlinks in the initial release.

Agreed, but it also depends on the available timeframe. Aren't we
already late with the first release?

Instead of adding symlinks, we could freeze the current ndn-cpp-dev
codebase and keep the github repo and docs so that people can still
fetch and build the old library. After a while the docs are removed
and the ndn-cpp-dev repo is changed to redirect to ndn-cxx. How does
that sound?