[ndnSIM] Route metrics

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Fri Mar 15 13:54:48 PDT 2013

Hi Natalya,

Metric is just a int32_t value, which can be (but not necessarily) be interpreted similar to OSPF routing metric for this prefix for this face.  The lower value of this "metric" the more preferred the face is to route Interest towards the prefix.  For example, BestRoute forwarding strategy picks a face with minimal "metric".  Other interpretations are possible, if you're using a customized forwarding strategy.

Regarding metric field in topology file.  This field basically defines how preferred a particular link is. Interpretations can vary, but the lower value, the more preferred the link is.  The "metric" that is specified for a specific face in FIB entry ("FIB metric) is basically an aggregated sum (minimal sum) of "link metrics" to reach a specific prefix using this face.  Btw, "link metric" is uint16_t value to prevent overflow of "FIB metric".

Let me show an simple example:

Client ------- Router-1 -------- Producer (/prefix)
  |                                 |
  +--------- Router-2 --------------+

If topology file specified that "link metrics" are the following:
Client Router-1   10
Client Router-2   100
Router-1 Producer 1
Router-2 Producer 1

Then "FIB metrics" on the Client will be:
Face 0 (to router-1): 11
Face 1 (to router-2): 101

On Router-1:
Face 0 (the only face): 1