[ndnSIM] how to modify FIB entries during the simulation time

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed Mar 13 10:08:18 PDT 2013

Hi Yao,

Yes, at least for now StackHelper does not provide functionality to delete specific routes.  It probably can be extended, but I think the primary purpose of the helper is to facilitate writing a scenario code, not do something in the core/runtime.

As it stands right now, during runtime, you can try to directly modify FIB entries using FIB interface (http://ndnsim.net/doxygen/classns3_1_1ndn_1_1_fib.html).  There is Remove call to remove a specific prefix from the FIB.   If you want to remove a specific face from the FIB entry, you can use fib::Entry API (http://ndnsim.net/doxygen/classns3_1_1ndn_1_1fib_1_1_entry.html), specifically RemoveFace call.

There is definitely a need for easier access to FIB management in ndnSIM.   We would greatly appreciate if you can create a new helper class (say, ndn::FibHelper) with various methods to add/update/or delete existing FIB entries.  We can go even further and implement some FIB management protocol (similar in spirit to CCNx face management protocol, but not necessarily the same).  What do you think?

PS
To get hold of the fib on a specific node, you can do the following:
Ptr<ndn::Fib> fib = node->GetObject<ndn::Fib> ();