[Ndn-interest] Sending files with NDN (putchunks/ndnpoke)

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 16 03:13:48 PDT 2018

Hi César

Don’t be surprised when you see NDN implementation is slower than IP
implementation.
NGINX and other major HTTPS servers have been optimized by many big
companies for many years. IP routers are also optimized with “line speed
forwarding” as a requirement.
ndnpoke and ndnputchunks and their corresponding consumer programs are
written by about three grad students. NFD is explicitly “not optimized for
performance” as claimed in NFD Developer Guide introduction section.
Try to hand write a HTTPS server (without using any TLS libraries) and a
software IP router (forward packets between libpcap handles), and you’ll
see how slow they would be.

Yours, Junxiao