[Ndn-interest] [Question] What's the purpose of the NFD's default signing key?

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Feb 22 21:22:44 PST 2017

As Lan pointed out already, [1] is very old guide for NDNx codebase and many statements there don't apply to NFD.

The "default" key that is created by nfd-start is only used to sign responses for NFD management requests and commands and current tools don't do validation of the responses.  The applications and tools that want to register prefixes with NFD, they need to use keys that are authorized by NFD for this operation.  In our default deployment, we have a very relaxed policy to allow any local registrations, which can be tied up in nfd.conf.  The default policy for "remote" registration (using /localhop/nfd) is to deny all and on our testbed nodes we require commands to be signed by a valid NDN Testbed certificate.

---
Alex