[Ndn-interest] [Question] Why is TLV naming of content not popular?

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Fri Apr 28 12:28:26 PDT 2017

Do you mean why are TLV structures not used for multiple component names, like a URI or NDN name?  They are and have been since forever ago.

X.509 (or even X.500 more generally), for example, uses X.208 DER (1988) to encode SubjectNames.  DER is a TLV style encoding.  Likewise, BER has been around for the same amount of time and is used many other places to encode data and multi-part names.

In networking, however, most of the time TLV encoding is used for end-to-end communications, not per-hop packets where fixed length headers have been generally preferred.  RFC 5444 (manet packet) is one notable exception that uses TLV for packet-level encoding.  DTN and DTNbis use self-delimited values, as do Protocol Buffers.

Marc