[Ndn-interest] Largest DDoS attack ever delivered by botnet of hijacked IoT devices

Christos Papadopoulos christos at colostate.edu
Wed Sep 28 13:30:38 PDT 2016

Hi Cedric,

On 09/28/2016 01:43 PM, Cedric Westphal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> regarding 3), it's probably too late once your under attack. Note that
> in this case, it's Akamai that was attacked, and even though they have
> more capacity to spread out the attack, the server still went down.
>
> regarding 2), many people have made this content that NDN requires
> flow balance and that measuring flow imbalance tells you about attack.
> There is information in the unsatisfied interests. That is true, but
> that information is noisy and more importantly, relying on it means it
> becomes a new vector of attacks.
>
> Consider a few nodes spraying interests for non existing objects. The
> router will see a flow imbalance, and will shut down traffic, but it
> can't discriminate between valid traffic and attack. Attack succeeds.
> This is different from flooding the PIT, since it only attacks the
> monitoring of the flow imbalance and the router stops forwarding not
> under PIT exhaustion but from its observation of unsatisfied interests.

I am not sure why the single router failure scenario keeps coming up,
but I will try this one last time. The attack *will* succeed (at least
the type of attacks we have been discussing here) to bring down one or
more routers. NDN, however, enables you to manage communication failure.
In one example, we may allow routers in networks with many attackers to
overload and fail by controlling the PIT size. That would have the
policy effect of higher collateral damage in networks with high
infection rate. No single policy will work for all cases, so other
policies are also possible.

There is noting magical about NDN that will thwart all DDoS attacks (as
much as I like unicorns). You can have crappy designs in NDN, just like
any other architecture. As with any other system there are tradeoffs and
compromises. The fundamental question, IMHO, is which architecture
allows you to make the best tradeoffs. I put my money on the one that
provides better feedback.

Christos.