[Ndn-interest] NDN Protocol Design Principles

Ignacio.Solis at parc.com Ignacio.Solis at parc.com
Tue Mar 15 10:01:07 PDT 2016

On 3/15/16, 9:09 AM, "Ndn-interest on behalf of Burke, Jeff" <ndn-interest-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu on behalf of jburke at remap.UCLA.edu> wrote:

>>>Do you mind explaining what performance specifically (packet encoding/decoding, forwarding, or something else)?
>>
>>Sure: being better than current networks at something; anything.
>>
>>I don’t think the principles reflect this well.
>>
>>That could be faster packet encoding, faster forwarding, more resilient routing, less failures, lower latency, higher privacy, higher security, better redundancy, lower hardware cost, lower overhead (less systems required?  maybe like dns or something), etc.
>

>Whether or not this sort of thing is a principle, I'm not sure. (It's possible to have a goal that is not a design principle, I think.) But I'd also suggest that *if* performance is considered as a principle or goal, it should be in parallel with considerations that reflect total cost of application development and deployment, like expressiveness, closeness of mapping between the network and applications, etc.  As I've suggested elsewhere one starting point is Green, Thomas R. G., and Marian Petre. "Usability analysis of visual programming environments: a ‘cognitive dimensions’ framework." Journal of Visual Languages & Computing 7.2 (1996): 131-174.

Those are all fine goals/principles/etc to have, parallel or primary. However, they, like many others, can be done at many layers.  If we want a specific layer to have them as their driving goals we should justify why.

The total cost of application development seems something closer to what you expect achieve via a stack and services, not necessarily related to the en maximum length of packets, or for that matter to flow balance. The same thing is true about expressiveness.

I have not read your reference so I don’t have a good basis for comparison, but I’m absolutely in favor of having usable programming/application/deployment environments.  But this to me does not imply a translation of one-to-one to how things are done at the network layer.

>Or, put perhaps more broadly, the way the architecture frames the world / motivates application design is important, too.  "A chief service of a designer is helping clients discover what they want designed."  - FP Brooks, The Design of Design.

Again, that’s a fine point if we talk about an architecture.  But in that mode the architecture encompasses a lot of things, not just the bottom most protocol.  The architecture encompasses flow control, application level naming, identities, programming APIs, abstract data structures, push primates, etc.

>>In my opinion, there has to be some justification as to why something is a principle. Why is this principle good or required if it is not natively a good one.
>
>Agreed. (Fortunately I am not organizing the articulation of principles so it is easy to agree. :)
>

>>For example, Universality.  Why is this good? Is it good because it doesn’t discriminate? Or is it good because it reduce complexity? (which in turn could be good because it reduces bugs, etc).  If so, make that the goal. Make that the principle: “to make a simpler system” or whatever.
>

>Not sure about this. There does need to be justification but simply to swap out design principles for their motivation is probably to end up in something that is too general to be used for design itself.  If they are abstracted to far (Eventually this reduces to "The world should be better because this thing exists.") it will be really hard to make decisions based on them.  Seems like a balance to strike through iterative discussion like this.

Oh yes, don’t get me wrong, you can’t start coding if your goal is just “lower latency”.  But you start from there and drill down as choices are considered and decisions are made.  The problem with having something down the chain as a “principle” means that we set something in stone that wasn’t our end goal or we have to change principles half way through.

What we’re trying to get to is different than how we’re trying to get there and why we’re trying to get there.

Where do these principles fit?

Nacho