[Ndn-interest] NACK

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Tue Jun 28 10:57:03 PDT 2016

I disagree about the “lower layer” statement.  A fair number of errors do make their way past layer 2.  While Ethernet with reasonable MTUs will have an “age of the universe” error rate, bad cables, for example, can cause a higher error rate that will get past the CRC (due to 4 or more bit errors).  Very large MTUs also have a non-linear effect on error rate, especially on very fast links because the scrambler can propagate single bit errors to multi-bit errors.  There’s a ton of material on the IEEE web site on these effects (see the sections on MTU size for 1 Gbps + macs). Other PHYs will have different behavior too.   Some compression schemes have a higher than normal error rate.  There’s also a broad category of intermediate systems causing errors (bugs, hardware errors, etc.) [see “When the CRC and TCP checksums Disagree”].

An intermediate system in NDN could verify validations, even though NFD does not.  I think the OP was asking this sort of what if question, not asking about the implemented behavior.  I agree with Gene’s position that one should not generate a NACK in this case.  If the router has some strategy that allows it to re-transmit the Interest, I think that’s ok as it would either be a CS hit upstream if it was an honest error or be aggregated/retransmitted if not.  But that needs to be rate limited, otherwise there is an amplification attack possible.  Otherwise, I’d just increment a “corrupted data packet” counter and drop it.

Also, note that some Interests carry a signature.  If the intermediate system is checking those too, then that might be a case where a NACK is warranted.  If you’re spending all the cycles to check a signature, sending a NACK is a small incremental cost and that’s a 1:1 message transaction.

Marc