[Ndn-interest] How sending an interest for each chunk is justified?

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jul 7 08:53:20 PDT 2016

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 6:41 AM, Zeinab Zali <zeinabzali at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> There is a serious question in my mind about NDN architecture and method. Is sending an interest for each chunk is efficient? In this way, for a large file lots of interest should be sent with all the security and communication (or even may be routing and forwarding) overhead. How It is justified? Is there a discussion in the literature about it?

Dear Zeinab,

thanks for bringing up the question. I tried to fully understand it before commenting: you asked:
    "Is sending an interest for each chunk is efficient?"
this implies to me that you worry about sending more interest packets than necessary -- is that right?

If so,
- keen in mind we are talking about a network layer protocol here (network packet must have a MTU size that prevents a single packet blocking others for too long)
- one of the many functions that interest-data exchange provides is loss recovery
- if one sent an interest per big file, wouldn't that make the whole file as the unit of loss recovery?  Would that be efficient?

Lixia
PS: You must know that a TCP connection also has packets going both directions, for the same purpose.  There is no attempt to reduce TCP ack overhead by making TCP Ack to work on a file granularity.