[Ndn-interest] Usefulness of routing protocol?

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jan 17 11:50:26 PST 2016

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Dennis Olvany <dennisolvany at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The flooding behavior of NDN is already akin to a routing protocol. Clearly, there may be a benefit of knowing data reachability before interest is expressed, but it is also not useful to know data reachability if interest is never expressed. Is there a good use case for routing protocol integration with NDN?

interesting questions.

let me ask a clarification question first: wonder exactly what you meant by "The flooding behavior of NDN"?

Since NDN interest looks for data and not aims at any specific node, NDN takes advantages of any communication media that is broadcast in nature (e.g. WiFi) in that whoever hears the questions may answer.  But I dont think NDN interests in general get flooded in wide areas.

Wonder exactly what you meant by "routing protocol integration with NDN"?  The NDN testbed is running a routing protocol.

Lixia