[Ndn-interest] [NDN-TR] NDN-0041 revision 1: Hop-By-Hop Best Effort Link Layer Reliability in Named Data Networking

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Aug 26 17:16:17 PDT 2016

A new NDN Technical Report (initial revision) is now available on NDN website.
Comments and suggestions are highly welcome.

  Title         : Hop-By-Hop Best Effort Link Layer Reliability in Named Data Networking
  Authors       : Satyanarayana Vusirikala, Spyridon Mastorakis, Alexander Afanasyev, Lixia Zhang
  Number        : NDN-0041
  Revision      : 1
  Revision Date : August 26, 2016

Abstract:
   Named Data Networking (NDN) supports the best effort data retrieval using
   Interest-Data exchanges. When either an Interest or Data packet is lost and
   not recovered by the router’s Interest forwarding strategy (e.g., by
   retransmitting the Interest along an alternative path), relying on end
   applications for loss detection may add significant delays in data retrieval
   that can impact application performance. In this paper, we propose a best
   effort hop-by-hop link layer reliability protocol (BELRP) for point-to-point
   communication links. BELRP makes a quick, non-persistent attempt to detect
   and recover packet losses over a single link with minimal delay. We evaluated
   BELRP through simulations and our results show that BELRP can significantly
   shorten data retrieval delays and hence improve application performance,
   especially over networks with non- negligible probability of packet losses.

Information page for this TR:
   https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0041-1-hop-by-hop-link-reliability/

Direct link to PDF:
   https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ndn-0041-1-hop-by-hop-link-reliability.pdf