[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for May 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Fri May 29 13:49:25 PDT 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for May 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* Save the date: We will host the NDN NP Community Meeting 2015
  at the University of California at Los Angeles campus in the
  Little Theatre of McGowan Hall on 28-29 September 2015. We plan
  to hold a Hackathon on Sunday 27 September preceeding the meeting.

TECHNICAL NEWS

* The NDN Testbed added a new node in Norway at the Norwegian
  University of Science and Technology (NTNU) to bring the total
  to 24 nodes. Currently, we have nodes in 9 different countries.
  We have two additional approved nodes that we will add soon.  You
  can see the current status of the testbed at:
  http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~jdd/ndnstatus/ndn_prefix/tbs_ndnx.html and
  the real time bandwidth usage at: http://ndnmap.arl.wustl.edu/.

* We are pleased to announce release of version 0.3.2 of Named Data
  Networking Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.
  The detailed notes for the releases:
  - for NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.2/RELEASE_NOTES.html
  - for ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

 Source code, installation instructions for pre-compiled binaries
 tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and updated developers guide available
 on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:
  - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.2/
  - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.2/
  - http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide/.

* We have new versions of the NDN Common Client Libraries for NDN-CPP
  (C++), PyNDN (Python), NDN-JS (JavaScript) and jNDN  (Java).  We
  have deprecated support for NDNx including the ndnb (binary XML)
  wire format (you should use the TLV wire format) and using the
  ndnd or ndnd-tlv forwarder from NDNx (you should use NFD).
  For details, please see the CHANGELOG for each library:

  NDN-CPP: https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/blob/9d097e9f7fdec170a7f09e6d103df7f47a776123/CHANGELOG
  PyNDN: https://github.com/named-data/PyNDN2/blob/6155fc2a0342113edd911e057cbc92ab3f196bc1/CHANGELOG
  NDN-JS: https://github.com/named-data/ndn-js/blob/8b700a44c08f13b1987d6a29095e384aa427eb02/CHANGELOG
  jNDN: https://github.com/named-data/jndn/blob/e6e7a4add881590c972f382193253c9a5c15f60c/CHANGELOG

* We released Revision 4 of the "NFD Developer's Guide."
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide/

  NDN: Why NDN Uses Hop-By-Hop Fragmentation."
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0032-1-ndn-memo-fragmentation/

* Junxiao Shi authored the protocol specification for the first
  batch of features in the NDN Link Protocol (NDNLPv2) and
  released the document for design review.
  http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/NDNLPv2

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* "Reliably Scalable Name Prefix Lookup"
  Haowei Yuan and Patrick Crowley
  ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications
  Systems (ANCS 2015), May 7-8, 2015, Oakland, California, USA.

* "Synchronizing Namespaces with Invertible Bloom Filters"
  Wenliang Fu, Hila Ben Abraham, & Patrick Crowley
  ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications
  Systems (ANCS 2015), May 7-8, 2015, Oakland, California, USA.

* Patrick Crowley gave an introduction to Named Data Networking
  presentation at the DARPA-sponsored New Frontiers in Networking
  Workshop at MIT, Apr 30-Jun 1, 2015.
  http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/new-frontier-ndn.pdf

* The NDN NP Team submitted nine papers to the
  2nd ACM Conference on Information-Centric Networking (ICN 2015) to
  be held Sep. 30 - Oct. 2, 2015 in San Francisco, CA.
  http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2015/

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued in May.  These seminars
  are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars on Wednesday
  from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included in the NDN
  Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu> for
  the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

    May 27: Prof. Pedro de las Heras Quires (UCLA Visiting Scholar)
            "Application of Macaroons for distributing encryption keys and providing access control in NDN applications."

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.