[Ndn-interest] How is scalability done globally given current name structure

Andrea Detti andrea.detti at uniroma2.it
Fri Jan 16 01:16:18 PST 2015

Dear Kuo,
this seems to me  again the plain old scalability problem of NDN/CCN
that I (re)-observed in the mailing list some days ago (see my mails or
Locator hints, updated cisco packet format draft).

I proposed the introduction of a ContentLocator TLV field (aka locator
hint, routing info, forwarding alias, etc. ) which contains a set of
names used to help routing in those contexts where pure routing by
object name practically does not scale. ContentLocator is used by an
NDN/CCN router when FIB is unable to forward on (Object) name.

Thus in your case the Interest fields would be:

(Object) Name : Foo
ContentLocator : {ndn/tw/sinica/Foo;  ndn/edu/ucla/Foo}

The NDN strategy layer chooses which is the better serving location
between  ndn/tw/sinica/Foo and  ndn/edu/ucla/Foo

Only ndn/tw/sinica/ and ndn/edu/ucla/ are advertized on the global
routing plane,  thus reducing the FIB entries to the (e.g.) number of
Autonomous Systems. Plain old locator identifier split approach proposed
by several researchers before  me.

Clearly, you need a secure, reliable and scalable resolution system (as
properly observed by DaveO) to obtain the ContentLocator field at the
communication session start. And also a name management system that
authorizes you tho name an object as Foo.

I guess that sooner or later people mostly involved in defining the
NDN/CCN protocol will face this old scalability problem (I apologize if
you already solved this scalability issue and I miss some information) .

Conversely, as now it seems to me, this technology can be used only in
small closed environments, that however could be an interesting use-case
too, albeit with a little bit smaller impact with respect to the
original global scope: "Information-centric networking (ICN) is an
approach to evolve the Internet infrastructure"  (citing ICNRG home page)

Andrea