[Ndn-interest] Time and synchronization

Chaim Rieger chaim.rieger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 13:50:08 PST 2015

So to answer half of my own question based on further reading and
input from you.

NDN does not maintain any form of synchronization with Time (which is
an external algorithm). NDN will however upon the establishment of a
session carry a sync (packet?) between the producer and the recipient,
and any further packets within said session window will be
incremented, thereby verifying that all data is synchronized.

Is this statement somewhat correct. Am trying to put into as simple
terms as possible for easy understanding by non technical folks.

On 2/5/2015 1:45 PM, Alex Afanasyev wrote:

>> On Feb 5, 2015, at 1:18 PM, <Marc.Mosko at parc.com>
>> <Marc.Mosko at parc.com> wrote:
>>
>> The NDN spec for signed interests specifically says "Note that
>> this verification process require signed interest to be received
>> in order. Applications adopting this process may want to take
>> 'stop-and-wait' strategy.”  Therefore, the actual
>> synchronization of timestamps is not essential, they are just a
>> non-monotonic increasing sequence number.  This may or may not
>> work for you application.
>>
>> Computing the grace interval, as specified there, does require
>> at least loose synchronization of clocks.
>>
>>> Note that for the first Interest, the state is not available.
>>> To handle this special situation, the recipient should check
>>> the Interest's timestamp against a grace interval (e.g., 120
>>> seconds) [current_timestamp - interval/2, current_timestamp +
>>> interval/2]. The first interest is invalid if its timestamp is
>>> outside of the interval.
>>

>> DTLS and IPsec use a sliding window, so they specifically
>> protect against replay without enforcing ordered packet arrivals.
>> They use sequence numbers, not timestamps.
>
> The reason they can use sequence numbers is because the "session"
> is getting authorized in the beginning with some challenge/nonce.
> We probably can do something similar, but idea was to avoid any
> sessions that need to be established before performing the
> control.
>
> -- Alex
>

>> Marc
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Chaim Rieger
>> <chaim.rieger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> Followup After reading
> http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/ndn-cxx/wiki/SignedInterestProcessing

Snip...