[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for August 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Mon Aug 31 17:24:19 PDT 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for August 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* Plans and agenda continue to firm up for the NDN Community Meeting
  (NDNComm 2015) to be held at the University of California at Los
  Angeles campus in the Little Theater, MacGowan Hall, UCLA on 28-29
  September 2015. While registration remains open on the web at
  http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/ we cannot guarantee
  support further requests to present.

* Hackathon: 26-27 September 2015. We are excited to announce the
  first NDN hackathon scheduled prior to the upcoming NDNComm 2015.
  Project proposals were due today 31 August 2015.  For questions,
  please email Steve DiBenedetto (dibenede at cs.colostate.edu).

  Project representatives will pitch their ideas to hackathon
  attendees and act as guides/mentors. We also plan projects
  suitable for NDN newcomers.  Please stay tuned to
  http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/#hackathon .
  We hope to see you in LA!

TECHNICAL NEWS

* We announced the release of version 0.3.4 of Named Data Networking
  Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.

  Please find detailed release notes:
    - NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.4/RELEASE_NOTES.html
    - ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.4/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  More details about NFD, source code, install instructions,
  tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful resources are available
  on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:
    - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.4/
    - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.4/

  The latest version of NFD developer's guide:
    - http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide/

* We posted a new version of NdnCon v0.4.3
  <https://github.com/remap/ndncon/releases/tag/v0.4.3> (v0.4.3).
  We do not yet recommend it as a reliable subsitute for existing
  conferencing tools, however, we hope to soon satisfy the NDN NP
  project's immediate needs (reliable audio prioritized over smooth
  HD video).

* ChronoChat-js version v0.3 has been updated to use the ChronoSync2013
  class in NDN-JS.  https://github.com/named-data/ChronoChat-js It
  can register with a remote NFD if NFD is configured to allow
  localhop. You can try the online demo:
  http://named-data.net/apps/live/chat/

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* A. Afanasyev, Z. Zhu, Y. Yu, L. Wang, and L. Zhang, "The Story
  of ChronoShare, or How NDN Brought Distributed Secure File Sharing
  Back," in IEEE MASS 2015 Workshop on Content-Centric Networks
  (accepted), October 2015.

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued during August.  The NDN
  seminars are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars
  on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included
  in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu>
  for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

  - August 12th Susmit Shannigrahi and Chengyu Fan (Colorado State
    Univ.) presented: NDN for Scientific Data Applications

 - August 26th Eva M. Castro and Pedro de las Heras Quiros (Universidad
   Rey Juan Carlos, Spain) presented: Redesign of ChronoSync

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.