[Ndn-interest] retrieving named data and layers (was Re: any comments on naming convention?

christian.tschudin at unibas.ch christian.tschudin at unibas.ch
Sun Sep 21 06:21:33 PDT 2014

Hi Marc, Tai-Lin and all

to me, this feasibility-vs-drawback-of-selectors discussion has traits
of an unproductive binary showdown, while I think it would be more
interesting to understand and enable heterogeneity (inevitable in an
evolving protocol world).

Could, for example, ways be found such that selector-carrying interests
can traverse an exact-match stretch (and work with the caching being
done there)?

I would see a yes to above question as a desirable specialization:
simpler forwarding semantics would be deployed in domains with high
speed, high volume or special technology like optical, richer forwarding
functions whereever possible, functionally necessary or economically
justifiable (and to still have some in-network optimization benefits).

Here is a layout of a possible layering where CCNx and NDN live
side-by-side (layers 3.b and 3.c):

   4.b) numerous applications

----- fancy data access ----

   4.a) many high-level APIs, from prodCons, pubSub, and groupComm to sync

   3.c) a few "discovery+selection APIs", mapping to either or a combination of
        - exact match + selProtocol
        - selectors in various shades (regExp)
        - named functions

   3.b) heterogeneous concatenation of NDN and CCNx stretches

   3.a) virtualization/redirection/fragm layer (common to NDN and CCNx)

   2.b) one common wire format and naming convent. (covering layers up to 3.c)

----- raw media access -------

   2.a) link

In that picture, CCNx would have a top-heavy stack: selection/discovery
protocol at 3.c, lean forwarding at 3.b.

NDN has priorities inverted: small or empty 3.c layer, but more involved
forwarding semantics at 3.b.

I added 3.a (which to me relates to the fixed header discussion) because
I think this is missing so far.

Looking forward to comments. Would the Paris ICNRG interim meeting be a
place to discuss this picture?

best, christian.