[Ndn-interest] CloudFlare announces keyless SSL

Felix Rabe felix at rabe.io
Fri Sep 19 10:57:22 PDT 2014

Hi list

I'm sure you will (and please do) tell me "we've considered this
already, there's 12 research papers from 1980 talking about this", but I
still find it interesting to throw in here for discussion:

http://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-keyless-ssl-all-the-benefits-of-cloudflare-without-having-to-turn-over-your-private-ssl-keys/
HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8334933
tl;dr (aka what I find interesting): Being a CDN, CloudFlare now
implements a scheme where they proxy SSL connections without having
direct access to the private SSL key themselves.

Now, as far as I understand (and please correct me), NDN does not
protect the transport but the individual packet. For static (or
cacheable) content, NDN provides the caching, and DoS attacks (another
main advantage of CloudFlare) are mitigated by ignoring unsolicited
traffic. So NDN is like "Internet with CloudFlare built-in".

(I'll post a related question in a separate email, to keep the topic in
a certain boundary.)

- Felix