[Ndn-interest] any comments on naming convention?

Dave Oran (oran) oran at cisco.com
Wed Sep 17 06:11:08 PDT 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 6:02 AM, Massimo Gallo <massimo.gallo at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> The why is simple:
>
> You use a lot of "generic component type" and very few "specific component type". You are imposing types for every component in order to handle few exceptions (segmentation, etc..). You create a rule (specify the component's type ) to handle exceptions!
>
> I would prefer not to have typed components. Instead I would prefer to have the name as simple sequence bytes with a field separator.
Field separators are perhaps the most problematic cause of aliasing. They also break purely binary name components since they have to be escaped.

> Then, outside the name, if you have some components that could be used at network layer (e.g. a TLV field), you simply need something that indicates which is the offset allowing you to retrieve the version, segment, etc in the name…
Maybe we’re into aesthetics and not functionality but I tend to prefer self-describing data structures rather than ones with ancillary stuff like pointers into the middle.