[Ndn-interest] use cases of manifest objects in NDN

Adeola Bannis abannis at ucla.edu
Tue Oct 7 16:27:08 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Tai-Lin Chu <tailinchu at gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry for the confusion. metadata can also be used to discover name.
> Imagine metadata as a pointer to a list of data.
>
> >Why do you need this orthogonality ?
>
> Orthogonality is always nice to have, and it also makes name matches
> what it actually is.
>
> My proposal is based on exact matching but converting to lpm is just
> relaxing the constraints. To me, if we add metadata, we don't need
> lpm(also selectors because it is highly coupled with lpm) and
> FinalBlockId. (exact matching + metadata) not only improves
> performance of verification, but also allows us to remove many things.
>
> 1. every interest will return one of 3 types of packets: data,
> metadata and nack. (still 1-1 relation)
> data is used if there is only 1 data packet that matches. metadata is
> used when there are more than 1: for either segmentation or children.
> nack is for data not found.

I think manifests are great for segmentation. However, I'm not sure it's
appropriate to use them to list child suffixes.

What if /..../mypage is the name of some data, and /.../mypage/image1 is
also valid data? Does this mean that publishers using metadata can never
have data with names that are prefixes of other data names?

> 2. the metadata contains a list of pair(suffix, digest) for quicker
> verification. Note it is just suffix not the full name. Because we
> also enforce 1-1 relation and we might have too many suffixes to
> segment, this suggests that "metadata about metadata" should be
> considered valid. I do not see this in the tr.
>
> 3. so what do I envision here? metadata tells consumer a data-fetching
> tree, which has internal node as meta data and leaves as data. In most
> cases this tree is very shallow but wide. We only need to verify
> pubkey once at the root. Because we will know all names in metadata,
> this allows parallel fetching. Therefore, finalblockId is then
> obsolete.

If the manifest includes all the segments, then we can get rid of
finalBlockId. However, as I understand Ilya's suggestion for embedded
manifests, a sequence of interests will receive some segments and some
manifests for upcoming segments. Without finalBlockId, a consumer will not
be able to tell a network failure just before the next manifest from the
end of the data.