[Mini-NDN] [EXT]Re: NDN benchmark topology

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 2 10:54:13 PDT 2021

Hi Jiacheng

> 2. I am planning to have a visual view of ndn topologies. However, I am
> not sure how to show the NDN topology in a 2-dimensional grid. I search
> online and only find a NDN testbed (
> https://www.arl.wustl.edu/~jdd/ndnstatus/ndn_prefix/tbs_ndnx_new.html)
> that has a good visual view. I am thinking about how to draw a visual view
> of NDN topologies?

If you look at the top of that page, it's the testbed status as of 2015.
The current testbed status page is at https://ndndemo.arl.wustl.edu/

> 1. How to set the hyperbolic coordinates for ndn nodes if I want to custom
> topology in mini-ndn. I am thinking that I can’t randomly pick some numbers
> as hyperbolic coordinates.

I asked this very question to NLSR maintainers.
The mathematics model is at
https://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2010/hyperbolic_geometry_complex/
and https://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/hyperbolic-graph-generator/ , but
I cannot understand them.
The actual coordinates used on the testbed is determined by querying the
BGP AS number of each node in this dataset:
https://www.caida.org/research/routing/greedy_forwarding_ndn/AS_network_Aug13-Sep13_main.coor
However, this dataset was generated in 2013, and many AS numbers active
today after missing. I personally have at least 3 servers having AS numbers
not in this dataset.

> 3. I cloned the mini-ndn git version
> 76dbe6633c10f4e833c9329482b10b8b44a0417d rather than the newest version. In
> the older version, topologies are not the same as topologies in the newest
> mini-ndn git version. The topology "current-testbed.conf
> <https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/76dbe6633c10f4e833c9329482b10b8b44a0417d/topologies/current-testbed.conf>"
> and "minindn.testbed.conf
> <https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/76dbe6633c10f4e833c9329482b10b8b44a0417d/topologies/minindn.testbed.conf>"
> are different from the latest testbed. I am wondering if topologies
> “current-testbed.conf” and "minindn.testbed.conf" are actual NDN testbed
> topologies?

You can see the current testbed configuration from one of these resources:

   - Ansible variables for each node:
   https://github.com/WU-ARL/NDN_Ansible/tree/master/host_vars
   - JSON document describing the testbed nodes:
   https://ndndemo.arl.wustl.edu/testbed-nodes.json
   - Live NLSR status: https://nlsr-status.ndn.today/